Nominations for the 2017-2018 VTTWS Exec Team!
Nominations are now OPEN and will close at 12 noon on Friday, March 24th
- Vice President
Committee Chair Positions:
- Animal Care Chair
- Education Chair (TWO positions available: Zoo and Outreach)
- Social Media Chair
Camera Trapping Chair
Conference and Conclave Chair
Advertising and Fundraising Chair
Graduate Student Liason
If you have any questions, feel free to contact any of our officers! Contact information can be found here.
- President: The President shall have a general supervision of the Student Chapter officers. Shall appoint, with the advice of the other elected officers, Chairman of all regular and special committees if not elected through a general election. Shall preside as Chairperson at meetings of the Executive Board and general membership, and shall be an ex-officio member to all committees. The President is in charge of the society meetings. The President shall represent the Student Chapter or appoint alternate representatives to other Chapter, Sections, or Society
boards, committees, or meetings.
- Vice President: The Vice-President shall assume the duties of the President in the absence or upon the inability of the President to serve. In the event the Vice-President cannot serve in the President's absence, the Executive Board shall appoint a President, pro tempore. The Vice-
President will aid president to arrange programs of all regular meetings. Shall coordinate nomination and presentation of The Student Chapter awards, as well as nomination for Departmental and State Chapter awards. Shall oversee the Mentorship Program and coordinate
interactions between mentors and mentees with the aid of the Social Chair.
- Secretary: The Secretary takes the meeting minutes at every executive committee meeting and submits the meeting notes to the entire executive committee (including advisor) within 24 hours of the meeting. The Secretary organizes and supervises the distribution of all information concerning The Student Chapter (Bulletin board, listserv and others). The Secretary sends out weekly announcements about the general meetings, events, and other wild opportunities. The secretary serves as the contact person for other clubs and people inquiring about TWS as well as
anyone trying to contact the society via the website. The Secretary shall work with the Treasurer to maintain records of all current members and contacts for listserv purposes. Maintenance of the listserv includes adding/removing those who request. Shall take attendance at all club meetings to maintain records of club member involvement.
- Treasurer: The Treasurer shall be responsible for all funds of the Student Chapter, including their receipt and disbursement. Shall maintain a membership roll in conjunction with the Secretary. Shall submit complete financial reports at the last meeting of the person's term of
office. Shall submit forms for budget request to the University Budget Board office for funding as well as attend training workshop by the budget board. Shall develop budgets for travel, conferences, events, t-shirts, and other merchandise. Shall work with Fundraising Chair to
determine budget needs. Shall organize snacks for general membership meetings.
- Graduate Student Liaison: The Liaison will be responsible for increasing membership of and engagement with graduate students. The Liaison will be responsible for coordinating speakers for monthly meetings. Further, the Liaison will gather and disseminate
information about seasonal employment opportunities to the membership.
- Education Committee Co-Chair (School Outreach Focus): Shall work to find education opportunities for the society to participate in. These activities should benefit the community in some way. The education outreach co-chair will work primarily with coordinating school visits, STEM nights and other events but is expected to coordinate activities with zoo education co-chair.
- Education Committee Co-Chair (Zoo Focus): Shall work to find educational opportunities in which the society can participate and that benefit the community. The zoo focused chair will mainly help to build and support the bridge program between the Mill Mountain Zoo and Virginia Tech. This includes overseeing volunteers as well as running animal handling training for new volunteers. The chair also will assist in outreach programs as they arise.
- Activities and Social Committee Chair: Shall work to find educational opportunities in which the society can participate and that benefit the community. The zoo focused chair will mainly help to build and support the bridge program between the Mill Mountain Zoo and Virginia Tech. This includes overseeing volunteers as well as running animal handling training for new volunteers. The chair also will assist in outreach programs as they arise.
- Conclave and Conference Chair: Shall organize and generate interest for all conference trips, including Conclave, SEAFWA, State Meeting, and National Meeting. Shall organize and train competitors for events including Quiz Bowl and Conclave competitions.
- Camera Trapping Chair: Shall work at Mountain Lake Biological Station with Dr. Marcella Kelly and organize the weekly to bi-weekly camera trapping expeditions of VT TWS volunteers. Must be well-versed in the procedures at Mountain Lake, as
well as able to lead and teach new and inexperienced volunteers. Shall also assume duties of VT TWS t-shirt surveys, voting, selection, ordering, and distribution. (Will work with Advertising & Fundraising Chair for t-shirt design and sale.)
- Advertising and Fundraising Chair: Shall develop, coordinate, and lead fundraising activities. Shall conduct necessary advertising for the club, any events it holds, and any fundraising that takes place. Shall obtain donations for silent auctions at the Annual Game Dinner and coordinate with the Activities & Social Chair to fundraise for Relay for Life. (Will work with Camera Trapping & T-Shirt Chair for t-shirt design and sale.)
- Historian and Social Media Chair: Shall document meetings, events, and socials with photography and other means. Shall keep records of event results and send follow-up reports to State and National Chapters. Shall assemble photos for posters, the club bulletin board, and the banquet slideshow. Shall administer all social media presence for the club, including Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and the Website. Shall work with the Secretary to communicate important announcements to the members.
- Animal Care Chair: Shall be in charge of the display animal in Cheatham Hall. Duties include obtaining an animal to put on display, feeding/watering the animal, and cleaning its enclosure. The animal will be used for many club events (Gobblerfest and most educational events) in conjunction with the Education Co-Chairs. Animal Care Chair shall establish a routine for the animal that the public can follow to educate the public during animal feeding and care.